1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

after crop surgery

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aymer, Sep 11, 2011.

1. aymer

aymer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2009
    san francisco, ca
    on saturday my husband and a neighbor performed crop surgery on one of our hens. her crop had become distended three weeks ago. i brought her to the vet and the vet thought something was stuck in the bottom of her crop and quoted us $400-600. for the surgery. we decided not to have the vet do the surgery and did research on doing it ourselves.

she survived surgery and is doing well. eating, drinking, pooping but her crop is still large.

after a crop surgery how long should it take for the chicken's crop to go back to normal? i feel like we may have not gotten rid of the problem because her crop is still distended.

2. Mavrik

Mavrik Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    How did you put her to sleep during the surgery?

3. aymer

aymer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2009
    san francisco, ca
    we used ether. we put it on cotton balls in a large ziplock bag. when ever she stirred we moved the cotton balls closer to her beak.

4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I don't know the answer but maybe you need to have her on a liquid diet for a few days? Is it easy to get ahold of ether?

5. aymer

aymer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2009
    san francisco, ca
    it was easy for me to get because my neighbors owns his own biotech company. our vet also recommended using chloroform. after doing research i found the ether was a bit safer. not sure how hard it would be to get on the internet but i am assuming you may be able to get it from canada.

her crop is still big this morning. size of a small baseball but she is eating and pooping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by