After dry pox how long to wait to intro new chicks? 3mths??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MasAhora, Jan 19, 2017.

1. MasAhora

MasAhora Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2016
    Paraguay
    My flock is not free of hateful dry pox yet, but all new cases seem very mild and clear up quick.
    I had planned in mid February to get another batch of chicks (summer here so great for raising outdoors).
    Their pen and coop has dry pox scabs in it,.
    The coop I can clean but the pen is grassy dirt under a tree so I've no idea how to sterilize it.

I think I read on one of the looooong pox threads that it takes 3 months for the virus to die....I'm kinda hoping I'm wrong.[​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It is possible to vaccinate chicks.
    Recovered birds are immune but may become carriers for life.

3. MasAhora

Nov 20, 2016
    Paraguay
    I don't have the option to vaccinate. I am now in rural Paraguay and already considered odd fussing over chickens, vets are not what I was used to in Australia....love my new country anyways[​IMG]

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  5. MasAhora

Nov 20, 2016
    Paraguay
    Aside from problems obtaining a vaccine (mail service here isn't that fast!) the vaccine may not cover the strand(s) of virus in my flock from I have read.

I wish I could find where I read to wait 3 months just to confirm my memory... some of the great threads are very long and I can't go all the way back through them -I shoulda written it down[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by