After hatching chicks is it normal for comb to be pale & hen growling?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by armedtodream, Jun 11, 2011.

1. armedtodream

armedtodream Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2011
    N. Idaho
    Hi, one of my polish hens hatched her first couple chicks yesterday & I noticed her comb is so so pale. She's been good about getting out to run around, eat & poop for a little bit every day but she just looks worn out. She is also doing a low gravel-y sounding growl when someone gets too close which is different than the hollering she did early on if we got too close to the next. Is that normal or could she possibly be unwell? Thanks in advance, these were are first "au naturale" chicks so we are totally new to this part of the process. I have to say, what a miracle!

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Broody hens are generally weak by the time the eggs hatch, and a pale comb is normal. The growling is okay too, considering she is now guarding chicks and not a bunch of eggs. [​IMG] All will be well, and good luck with your hen!

3. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    I'd say that sounds normal.

Whereas before your sweet hen came running up to you as the loving dispenser of bread crumbs, she now glares at you as the evil stealer of chicks.

It's hormonal. It's not her fault. [​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yup, my sweet pet hen who follows me around went broody yesterday -- she's no pet now! [​IMG] But she will be again, when the hormones cool down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by