After hatching how soon do you give water or food?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chutewoman, May 25, 2010.

1. chutewoman

chutewoman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2008
    Mid- Missouri
    This is my first group of "home hatched" chicks!! [​IMG] How soon do I dip their beaks in water after they hatch?

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I do it right after I take them out of the incubator [​IMG]

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Yes, provide them with water in a shallow dish with clean pebbles in if you do not have a chick waterer ( so they do not drown) and provide chick crumb. They will usually sort themselves out pretty quickly,
    Good Luck,
    Sandie

4. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I also start them right off. I toss the crumbles in the blender for a few seconds too. To me this helps a lot to prevent pasty butt and makes it a little easier for them to eat in the beginning.

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I provide starter crumbles and fresh water at all times. However, they absorb the yolk for nutrition for about 3 days, so I don't worry that they are not eating or drinking the first couple days. They spend the first couple days sleeping alot. After all that hard work hatching, I am sure they are tired! I also give probiotics the first couple weeks (usually every other day). I usually use unflavored nonfat plain yogurt. I make a mash with it in their crumbles.

This is from a poultry expert, maybe it will be helpful to you ....

Quote:

6. chutewoman

chutewoman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2008
    Mid- Missouri
    Thank you very much for the info! I do have waterers and starter, I will get it into the box with them. Thanks again!! :eek:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by