After many "scientific" tests I think I know the gender of my chicks

Gindee77

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
QCA, Illinois
First I checked to see who was getting the most feathers.

Then I did the test where you wave a hat over the chicks and see who hunkers down and who stands up tall and chirps.

Then I suspended a gold ring on a chain and held it over each chick. You have to hold really still and don't hold the chick when you do this or it may be sexing YOU. Put it in a box by itself while you do it, so you don't have any other chicks in the way. When the ring is over a roo, it will swing in a straight line back and forth. When it is over a pullet it will swing around in a circle. (Try this on yourself, your significant other, your pets or adult chickens...it works!)

I have one test left and that's to measure their legs and toes to see who's are longer and who's are shorter. The longer ones are supposed to be roos!

Believe it or not, I got these ideas (all but the hat one) out of a book I have on sexing fowl. Of course, it tells you the more scientific ways to do it, but it also gives you some of the old pioneer ways to sex chicks. They said the ring thing is 90% accurate and works on the same principle as witching for water. The leg measuring is supposed to be about 85% accurate.

I thought, what the heck and gave them a try. I find if fascinating that they all show the same chicks as roos and the same ones as pullets!

Oh and by the way. I have 4 Golden Comets that I used for control chicks to see if the ring thing worked. I also did it on my man, my female dog and I. It was right every time. Out of the 13 other straight run chicks I have, these tests showed that 7 of them are pullets. So that makes sense too, odd-wise!

Let me know if you try the ring thing and if it works for you!

Ps. It's not a control if you already know the gender. Should be a blind control.
wink.png

That was the whole point...knowing what the gender was already so I could test this method. Maybe control was the wrong word, but it was a sure thing that I could try the ring thing on.

I did a form of the 'ring test' on eggs that I set in the incubator. For a week, I threw away any egg that it said a boy for except for one and kept all the eggs that it showed girl. There was one that I set that the test first said boy and then girl for. I set about 2 dozen eggs. I ended up with the one boy that I purposely set and one boy on the mystery egg that the test couldnt decide on and the rest were all girls. For me, for some reason, it worked like a charm.

<------------- Uses pendulum. I'm just afraid that I am too biased right now to get a correct reading on my chicks
tongue.png
Lots of information out there on pendulums and dowsing. Very interesting what you tried Chickenlady! I'm intrigued by your success rate..... you must be a natural
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom