After molting, when did yours lay again?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rainbowgardens, Oct 29, 2009.

1. rainbowgardens

rainbowgardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central Virginia
    I read that it takes about 10 weeks to grow new feathers, but I could find nothing that says when laying typically resumes.

After the fall molt, when did yours begin laying again?

I have two that have all their new feathers, their tail ones just need to grow a little longer. The bright yellow coloring has returned to their legs.

I don't have to wait till spring to get eggs again, do I?

2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I just checked my egg chart. Last year, my hens started laying again in January, and were back up to good production by mid February. But I'm sure it depends on a lot of factors. I have a mixed flock, different ages, different breeds. I don't supplement light in the winter.

I did have 3 hens that laid through the winter. But they didn't lay like like crazy or anything. Like 3 to 4 eggs a week.

Edited to add: 3 to 4 eggs per hen, not total! LOL

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  3. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    [​IMG] it took mine about 2 months after molting...just remember every chicken is different!

4. rainbowgardens

Nov 19, 2008
    Central Virginia
    I didn't think about mentioning supplimental lighting. I guess that would affect things. I don't use it.

5. QuailHollow

QuailHollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:OMG - kill me now.
    [​IMG]

6. rainbowgardens

Nov 19, 2008
    Central Virginia
    I did some more searching about molting. I found one article that said the chickens will stop laying for about two months.

Has anybody found this to be the case with their hens?

It's frustrating not being able to get more info about how long the chickens stop laying. You'd think with all of us impatient egg-addicts, there'd be more information.

7. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    I use no supplemental light either. My girls stopped laying on Sept. 25th.

I think all of them have been molting:
    [​IMG]

Buffy the cochin started again on Sunday, and has giving us one egg per day since then.

What gives? I thought they wouldn't be laying again until there are at least 14 hrs. or light per day....

I'm more confused than ever, but grateful for the eggs. [​IMG]

8. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I have a 3 yr old hen (her name is Pearl) that went through a really hard molt. She's all finished as of 3/4 weeks ago. No eggs from her yet, but her best bud (the same age) hasn't molted yet, and she lays a BIG egg almost everyday.

I have another 3 yr old (Dorothy) that went through a hard molt 6 months ago, then started with a milder molt this month. No eggs from her either. I too was wondering if they are just done with laying now or what? Time will tell.

Maybe mine are getting ready for retirement, that's OK they have a cozy home to keep them safe for the rest of their days. [​IMG]

9. rainbowgardens

Nov 19, 2008
    Central Virginia
    Anybody else want to report in? I'd really like to know what to expect.
    Also, let us know if you used lights, because I'm sure that affects things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by