After months I have finally decided which coop to buy

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PaulaSB12, Jan 28, 2011.

1. PaulaSB12

PaulaSB12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
  2. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Wow! That is a very unique looking coop. I love the old fashionist of it. It looks like it has alot of nice features too. Congrats on the new coop. BTW love the wheels.

3. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

I LIKE that coop!
    I need to build another small coop for my chickens. (The flock seems to GROW like asparagus....they just "pop-up", so to speak.)
    [​IMG]
    I may build one VERY similar to this when Spring comes here.

THANKS for the picture! [​IMG]

I hope it works well for YOU on your "allotment".

I would also be interested in seeing pictures of your allotment. Do other folks have allotments adjoining yours? Are they also used for gardening and ??? [​IMG]

VERY Interesting! [​IMG]
    -Junkmanme- [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  4. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    Keep in mind that the number of birds they claim those coops hold is stupidly high.
    Sherwood 12 bird house
    3 nest boxes
    4' x 3' x 4' high (1.2 x 0.9 x 1.2m high) - £363

only 12sf ok for a Maximum of 3 chickens.

Sherwood 25 bird house
    5 nest boxes
    6' x 4' x 4' high (1.8 x 1.2 x 1.2m high) - £560

only 24sf ok for a Maximum of 6 chickens.

Sherwood 35 bird house
    7 nest boxes
    8' x 4' x 5' high (2.4 x 1.2 x 1.5m high) - £735

only 32sf ok for a Maximum of 8 chickens.

This assumes assumes that you live in a part of the world that includes a winter season, and that you have an appropriate sized run.

(Note: you can keep more chickens if you want to. However, they will not be as happy.)​

5. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    I love that web-site, unfortunately it's in UK [​IMG]
    Good luck

6. PaulaSB12

Dec 6, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG]
    One half
    [​IMG]
    The other half the metal box you see is on the other ladies half it is on an allotment site with quite a few allotments on it
    http://www.allotment.org.uk/articles/Allotment-History.php
    that link with explain what they are the pictures where taken before I started growing on them last year. I had just put in my peas and had a few cabbages left.

7. PaulaSB12

Dec 6, 2010
    Quote:only 12sf ok for a Maximum of 3 chickens.

Sherwood 25 bird house
    5 nest boxes
    6' x 4' x 4' high (1.8 x 1.2 x 1.2m high) - £560

only 24sf ok for a Maximum of 6 chickens.

Sherwood 35 bird house
    7 nest boxes
    8' x 4' x 5' high (2.4 x 1.2 x 1.5m high) - £735

only 32sf ok for a Maximum of 8 chickens.

This assumes assumes that you live in a part of the world that includes a winter season, and that you have an appropriate sized run.

(Note: you can keep more chickens if you want to. However, they will not be as happy.)​

We have never in my life time had enough snow to make the chicken have to stray in their coop. It is going to be sleeping only.​

8. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:'Cargo' is absolutely right. You will never achieve good productivity and health by cramming as many chickens in one of those things as they say you can. [​IMG] It is nothing more than a selling tactic to make you think that somehow they were able to design and build a coop which could magically hold more birds. NOT TRUE . You also run a risk of more disease, and more fighting/bullying due to overcrowding.

Re-think your flock size since you have ordered already. It is cruel to really overcrowd chickens or any other livestock.

Gerry [​IMG]

9. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Very nice!

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I agree, those are nice looking coops, but they certainly won't hold the number of chickens listed without serious problems, as previous posters have said. People have posted about unhappy chickens, fighting and bullying, but that is far from the worst that can happen. Are you talking about 30 chickens in 32 sf? I couldn't figure out the actual numbers from your posts. I suggest you read some of the posts on here about cannibalism and its relation to lack of space, or how commercial operations keep their birds alive. Chickens are little dinosaurs, and can be vicious.

I was thinking I read on here that there is a requirement for 4.5 sf per bird in the UK. Might very well be wrong, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by