After much fighting, finally peace and quiet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LuckysMom, Feb 3, 2008.

1. LuckysMom

LuckysMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    South Carolina
    My DH got me two new hens for Christmas, and for quite awhile they were picked on by the other chickens. Whenever Sadie or Angel tried to go near the food the other hens would chase them away. They started treating Angel better a few weeks ago, but still kind of ostracized Sadie. At night Sadie would roost by herself and the others would be together. It made me sad and worried about her.

My other flock management problem was that I've had three roosters since last June. Most of the time they got along okay, but about a month after the new hens came, in fact right about the time the hens started laying eggs, the roosters started fighting. It got so bad that I found one rooster hiding behind the air conditioner unit bleeding and shaking. I cleaned him up and put him in a small cage for the night. The next day we rehomed the two younger roosters to other people who keep chickens. So now I just have Lucky the rooster and Nellie, Blondie, Sadie and Angel. It's a lot quieter with only one rooster crowing.

This week I've noticed that all the chickens are roosting together now and the other hens are not picking on Sadie anymore. I let them roam around the yard this weekend while I was working outside since the weather was so nice. They stuck together and happily scratched all over the yard. I'm so happy they are getting along now!

Just wanted to tell about this in case anyone else is having problems with their birds fighting and such. I guess these things have a way of working themselves out.

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    Thanks, that was encouraging. I have some 12-13 week olds that free range with the older two. I have been worried about them eventually being kept in the coop together. I hope it goes as well as it did for you, though I am sure that the month was stressful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by