1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

After ordering, when do you get a ship date

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by MydearWatson, Apr 25, 2011.

1. MydearWatson

MydearWatson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    CT
    Hi! I ordered from ChickensForBackyards.com 3 weeks ago and I still have yet to get a ship date. They are supposed to be here sometime in May. Is this what usually happens? I was told they would give me a ship date between 5-7 business days. Everytime I call they keep telling me, "we should know the ship date today." but they dont.

Im just wondering if this is unusual or am I just super anxious to get my babies?!

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I received a "heads up" notice from Holderread about 3 weeks before shipping, but I got a ship date, plus 2 backup dates. So it is narrowed down to a 3 week window. It was nice, though, their notice of shipping date came with a multi-page booklet of instructions on how to care for the ducklings.

Holderread says they will email me the day my ducks ship to let me know they are in the mail, so I can be watching for them.

Another breeder I ordered from is supposed to ship in May, but I've heard nothing from them, other than having my bank verify that they cashed my check. I suspect that my only notice is going to be the call from the post office to pick them up.

The chicks are not machine tooled or poured out of a mold, so your ship date is doing to depend upon how successful the hatch was and whether or not the hens are laying.

I've never heard of the hatchery you ordered from, so I don't know anything about them. I do know that sometimes the people who answer the phones are just employees and sometimes they don't really know much about what is going on in the hatchery.

3. MydearWatson

MydearWatson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    CT
    Thanks so much for your reply. I wish the rep on the phone had worded it the same as you. I just feel like they are clueless as to when mine will come and they just keep promising me everyday that "today is the day!". Thanks for the reminder that it is nature after all and I just have to be patient! But it's just so hard to wait! [​IMG]

4. pinkyglory123

pinkyglory123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    I have had excellent luck with Murray McMurray. My most recent order-you pick the date. I got an email around 430 PM on Sunday the chicks had been shipped and by 11 AM they were in the local post office ready to be picked up. I have yet to have lost-knock on wood-a chick.

5. pinkyglory123

pinkyglory123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    11 am monday.

6. chrissybop

chrissybop New Egg

Apr 1, 2011
    I ordered from backyardforchickens too. They sent a ship date shortly after ordering (within a week). I talked to the post office the day they shipped to tell them what I had coming. Little did I know they would be calling me bright and early the next morning! I thought they were being shipped from TX but they came from Ohio?? Anyway, my 4 babies were as healthy as could be. I think waiting is the hardest part. Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by