After Rain Foraging

Stacykins

Crowing
9 Years
Jan 19, 2011
Escanaba, MI
I was wondering if this is true for other people who let their birds free range. I noticed after a rainstorm, that chickens are much more aggressive when they forage and forage for a very long time. On a normal, dry day, mine forage in spurts during the warmer times, with most happening in early morning and late evening. But no matter when it stops raining, they are all over the lawn and fields picking through the plants and eating greens. I guess the rain drives up worms? Though I haven't really seen them eat many worms at all, mostly greens.

When it rains the bugs seem to come up from the soggy ground. I haven't seen that in a while here in Texas. I'm waiting on a good rain here for my girls so they can get some good bugs.

I can't remember I'm also from Texas. I heard that Texas is 168 inches behind in rain for the year. It looks like a dessert here & hotter than three hells with a lid on it. Stacy, I think the bugs,worms come up because the ground is softer.This makes it easier for the chickens to scratch in as well so they find more to eat.

I'm in Texas too, and it's just crispy here! My new rain gage is a thimble. Anyway....the little rain we did get last week had all of my animals (and myself) practically dancing in it!
wee.gif
I definately noticed a lot more activity when it cools down to below 100, (thats not often this summer) and we get a tiny shower(that's even less often). The chickens love wet ground, so I oblige them by turning on a sprinkler. I think it's more fun for them to scratch, the bugs are easier to get and it's nice an cool on their little chicken toes!

I don't think we've seen any significant rain since the kids have been outside- but on a Dewey or foggy morning everyone is really excited. This morning the girl duck ran back and forth all over the yard as fast as she could quacking as loud as she could - the male duck wasn't sure whether to follow her or get his morning scratches from me. And the chickens run wildly from grass patch to grass patch - I think they're eating the new clovers that sprouted overnight. Every morning I'm laughing when I let them out!! They are all so cute!

Can't wait to see what happens with real rain!

Rain pushes all sorts of edibles, insect mostly, to move into easy view. Chickens will not pass up easy meals like that. My birds will consume insects with zeal even though satiated on feed.

More bugs and worms and other crawlie little protein snacks are out and roaming about right after a rain and the chickens know it! It's the best time to go looking and they find a whole lot more to eat for the amount of energy they expend looking for it.

Our chickens are the same way - they go nuts in wet grass, over the grass and plants themselves and the crickets, worms, other bugs, etc. and even over the water droplets, which I see them picking off of leaves.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom