After Rooster is gone, will the hen lay a few fertile eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 8isenuff, Jan 27, 2014.

1. 8isenuff

8isenuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2013
    Georgetown, Tx
    This may be a dumb question, but I have to ask...My sweet rooster has to be rehomed and I really wanted to breed him. I haven't started hatching eggs yet, but now he will be gone tomorrow :( So my question is this: How many eggs are possibly still in the final production stage within my hens that were already fertilized? What is the timing of egg creation in the hen once the egg is fertilized? Do I possibly have a few fertile eggs still coming my way that I can incubate and keep Rudy the Rooster's line going?

Thanks for answering my silly question! :)

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Most of the hens eggs will be fertile, assuming the male mated her TODAY, let's say, for the next 12-14 eggs. It gets real spotty to say with certainty.

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    You should have fertile eggs for at least 2 weeks after he is gone and maybe up to 3 weeks. So you've plenty of time to collect and turn them to build up a clutch to start incubating.

When collecting I store mine in egg cartons on the kitchen shelf, pointed end down and turn them twice a day by tilting carton- prop an end up on a block or book and then rotate the carton to tilt other direction to turn.

4. 8isenuff

8isenuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2013
    Georgetown, Tx
    Thanks! That's great news!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by