1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

After the chick hatches...............

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thepetpaw, Aug 4, 2008.

1. thepetpaw

thepetpaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    Tennessee
    Lots of questions -

I have heard if you mail order eggs you should let them set for about 8 hours before putting in the incubaotr...is this right?

Put the eggs in the incubator big side up?

can you put eggs in then a couple days later put more eggs?

once the chick hatches or pips how long do you leave before you move to the brooder?

How long do you leave in the brooder?

Please help this new egg!!!

2. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Lots of questions -

I have heard if you mail order eggs you should let them set for about 8 hours before putting in the incubaotr...is this right? Most people do allow a "resting" period for shipped eggs before putting in the bator. I am not sure how long they "rest" though. I have never hatched shipped eggs.

Yep

can you p.t eggs in then a couple days later put more eggs? I do but that is just me. It is a little more complicated to do staggered hatches than just one hatch date.

once the chick hatches or pips how long do you leave before you move to the brooder? the pip is when you noticed the very first little crack on the egg. Hatching could still take 2 days before it is out. I have had some pip on day 19 and then hang out in the egg til day 21 and hatch then. Leave them in the bator until they are mostly dry. Some people leave them in bator for 24 hours.

How long do you leave in the brooder? they will need to be kept nice and warm in a brooder until they get all their feathers. And are several months old.

P.S.[​IMG]

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I have heard if you mail order eggs you should let them set for about 8 hours before putting in the incubaotr...is this right?

Yes, I set them large end up in an egg carton and let them rest 8-12 hours before setting them in the incubator.

Yep, you got it - you want the air cell to be up.

can you put eggs in then a couple days later put more eggs?

You can, but then you get a staggered hatch. Since you have to take them out of the turner and up the humidity the last 3 days of the hatch, that makes it really hard to stagger hatch unless you have a 2nd incubator that you use just to hatch - you move the eggs over at day 19 into the hatcher so you can up the humidity and manage the hatch without bothering the eggs that have a bit longer to go. If I'm doing a staggered hatch, I put them in about once a week, and color code the groups of eggs (I use a colored sharpie and have had no adverse problems) so I know the 'purple Xs' get moved the hatcher on XYZ day... etc. I mark it all in a calendar to keep it straight.

once the chick hatches or pips how long do you leave before you move to the brooder?

Since you need to keep the humidity up for the entire hatch, it's best not to open the lid to the hatcher/incubator while a hatch is happening - you can leave the chicks in the bator for well over 24 hours before you need to remove them.

How long do you leave in the brooder?

They need heat for the first 5-6 weeks. A good rule of thumb is to provide heat until they are mostly feathered out, and a couple weeks more in the winter. I use a staggered brooder system where they 'graduate' to various brooders I have around the house, out in my outbuildling and finally into a grow out pen after they don't need heat anymore.

Click on the "learning Center' Link at the very very tippy top of this page for lots more info on caring for chicks in the brooder, etc.

Good luck!!​

4. thepetpaw

thepetpaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    Tennessee
    Thanks so much for your help - you both gave much needed advice...and I got my incubator today...cant wait until my first batch of eggs!!!!

Joni

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by