After the hatch - Winter edition

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Going Quackers, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    So for those of you familiar with wintertime hatches, any advice for after they have hatched?

They will be 1wk old come Wed/Thursday.. there doing well, mama duck is doing her job, there eating well and my heat lamp setup is keeping everyone warm.

All this said mama is a little restless, this is a free ranged duck BUT it was -14C this morning, so er.. yeah, foraging isn't going happen with a brood in tow.

I have raised quite a few baby ducks now, and quite a few have been left to be raised by mama but this was in warm months, so my whole method/way of doing things is lost.

I plan on getting some chick grit and introducing some fake forage set-up not only for the mama duck but the benefit of the babies. We are "supposed" to get better by the weekend but were only talking maybe +4C, right now were set for a massive snow storm.[​IMG]

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Brrrrr. Well, my mom had her babies out at about 2 weeks old when it was 28F here, so -2C. I didn't let her stay out for long. I'd try to keep her contained for a bit longer. With just a few, she will be able to cover them outside. If you are going to be home, you could let her out at the warmest part of the day and keep an eye on the babies and put them up if they look chilly. I'd probably only do it if it were sunny.

Mine are about 9 days and I let her do what she wants after about 10am. We haven't been cold the last few days, 50-60sF during the day. Momma is doing a good job of taking them back in the coop after a little outing though if its chilly. We get VERY windy at times too. We had rain today and the temp dropped a bit. With wind it was low 50s and she had them back outside playing in the puddles. Crazy birds.

I've been trying to answer this for about an hour.[​IMG] Doggie dinner time and putting up the birds.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Thank you! i was hoping you'd offer some input since your experienced with it. I could tell she wanted out yesterday, so i was explaining that it's way to cold, yes.. i have officially lost it. We SHOULD BE +6 this time of year but there not showing that till at least the 28th of the month...

Good to know yours were ok at -2, so if we hit +4 and sunny this weekend perhaps they can get out even if it's just for 15-20mins.. i wish the weather would steady.

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I know exactly what you mean. Yesterday I woke up to 55F, today 35F. We are expecting a freeze later in the week, again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by