After the hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 3forfree, Dec 5, 2011.

1. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    I'm reading that alot of you are having christmas hatches, and was wondering what you do with the chicks after the hatch. I live in Michigan, and it usually gets cold this time of year,and wondered where you keep the chicks until the weather allows you to let them outside. Thanks

2. joneus

joneus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Ballston Spa
    Mine (4, 2wk olds) are spending another week or two in the spare room in the house and then will be moving out to the enclosed & semi heated front porch for 2 weeks. Once they're acclimated to that, I'll put them in the garage for another 2 weeks & start weaning them off the heat lamp. By then they should be feathered out enough to start acclimating to the coop & run (and be introduced to the big girls) during the day over the course of those two weeks in the garage. I'm HOPING they can be out in the coop full time before the "warm" spell between late January & mid February (by warm, I mean 25-35 degrees during the day) so they're ready for the late February deep freeze. If not, they can stay in the basement until the deep freeze is over.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by