after the heads off...

daegorn

Songster
10 Years
May 11, 2009
Pahrump
When I executed my first chickens, I tied a string around their feet. Then I stretched their necks and cut off the head. After severing the heads, I hung them upside down while they died so the blood would drain out. Then scalded the chickens, plucked them, gutted them, and cut them into pieces. Lisa wants to cook the chickens, but my dad says we need to soak the meat in salt water over night to draw out the blood. What do you think, cook em or soak em?

Brining will keep the meat moist and tender. I always brine poultry and it only takes 30 minutes to an hour of brining to make a big difference.

Soaking overnight is way too long and unnecessary.

You don't have to soak them overnight in salt water but I would give time for rigor to pass and they are better/more tender if you age them a few days in the frig before cooking them. If you freeze them it can be done before or after freezing.

Thank you!!
frow.gif

I always soak mine in a light brine overnight before cooking or freezing. I've found when cooking them immediately after processing they are too tough. With 8 week old meat birds it doesn't matter as much though.

Back
Top Bottom