1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

After the move...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Thousand Oaks Family, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Thousand Oaks Family

Thousand Oaks Family In the Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    So I bought 3 hens and a coop and moved them to my place. They were stressed out and didn't lay for a while. One started up again after 2 weeks and another started up after 3 weeks. The other one is in molt so nothing expected of her. They are on a every other day schedule right now. Do you think they will get back to a regular 26 hour cycle or could I expect the same pattern? Is there anything that might be keeping them more productive?

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

It could still be stress from the move. Make sure they have a good diet and plenty of fresh water. I know the heat is stressing LOTS of animals all over the country right now, and my girls have dropped from around 2 doz. per day to about 7 or 8. (I'm doing what I can to keep them cool, but I am not going to do anything that might try to get them to lay more until they're ready -- I don't want to overstress them when they're dealing w/ this horrendous heat).

3. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

What kind of hens are they? Some breeds are less frequent layers and this may be the norm for them. Also, older birds will lay less frequently.

4. Thousand Oaks Family

Thousand Oaks Family In the Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    I don't think its the weather. Fortunately for us we don't have the bad heat. 81 degrees lately and loving it! They are only a year and a half. Can you help me with the breeds? I never did find out. I don't let them out until 7:30-8:00 but I have a light that comes on around 6:00. Would it help if I had the light on more?

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by