After the whole parvo drama we're finally getting another dog - pics!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by georgialee, Jul 7, 2010.

1. georgialee

georgialee Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Some of you may remember me posting about a month ago about buying a dog that had parvo and subsequently died. We only had the dog for about 18 hrs before we took him to the vet, but it was still a traumatic experience.

I went on the hunt for a puppy that would fit my family's needs but was also old enough to have finished it's shots. I found a breeder who was willing to keep a pup until he's 16 weeks...we'll be able to pick him up July 19.

Here's some pics she sent:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He's a cavachon (cavalier king charles/bichon mix). We have so many darn cats in this house that we thought having a dog that doesn't shed would be nice, lol.

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Songster

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    What a little cutie! Have you bleached/ cleaned any area the other dog touched so as not to infect this one?

3. krcote

krcote Songster

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Quote:An excellent point- this is a must do. I work in the emergency veterinary business and I see families ALL OF THE TIME get second dogs infected with the virus from bringing it into the same environment. BE VERY CAREFUL, read up on proper cleaning practices... this virus is nasty and can survive a long time without a host.

4. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Songster

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    x2..please do this!!!

5. georgialee

georgialee Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Yep, everything has been bleached and santitized since the day he we left him at the vet. We have two other dogs and did not want them infected. That is also the reason I chose to get a puppy that was finished with all of it's shots... I didn't want to take any chances.

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

It's a BAD year here in Arkansas for parvo.

7. bock

bock Songster

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Cute puppy! Have fun with him! [​IMG]

8. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Songster

Mar 20, 2008
    He's a cavachon (cavalier king charles/bichon mix).

I'm always learning something on here. I have seen several ads for cavachons and didn't know what they were.
    Good Luck with the little one. He is cute!​

9. He is really cute. I hope he does well for you. Enjoy!

10. I have heard bleach does not kill parvo . . .

Make sure that new pup has ALL of its shots before it steps foot on your property!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by