after they are done laying

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Chicken Boy 09, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Chicken Boy 09

Chicken Boy 09 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    once my chickens quit laying eggs are they still good for stewing hens or would letting them live there lifes the rest of the way be better?
    thanks for the responses

2. BrokenRoadFarm

BrokenRoadFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    North Central NC
    It's a personal choice. We just started with our 4 ladies this past spring, so we have a long way to go. But our intent is that once they stop laying, they will go into the stew pot. They are livestock for us - not pets. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  3. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    That's a good question... How old is too old to stew? Past 4 years? Longer? Never?

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Never. Also, most of the time they don't stop laying until they're darned old. But they do slow down laying at around 2 years enough that it makes it not real economical to keep feeding them.

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    They are never too old to cook. They live a very long time, and feed keeps getting more and more expensive.

I can see keeping a special pet. Sometimes a bird just gets under your skin and you get some valuable emotional feedback from a pet. But a whole flock of chickens eating expensive food and not producing any eggs would be a project for someone with some serious spare change that they don't have any other use for.

6. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Yesterday we processed some three year olds and made stew - very tasty!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by