1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

after they hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wjallen05, Feb 25, 2009.

1. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    Forgive me if this has been asked a million times, but, what should I have the temp set at once the chicks hatch? Also, how long should I leave them in the bator? I know until they're all dried off but wasn't sure if it was okay to take them out as soon as they're fluffy or if I'm supposed to leave them in for a certain amount of time.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

They need to start out at about 95 degrees. If you can leave them in until all the eggs hatch it's a good thing. Opening the bator up to take out chicks can affect how well the other eggs hatch.

3. wjallen05

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    I have the bator set at 101-102 right now, is that too high? (day 21) should I just turn it down after they hatch, or what?

4. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:They can stay in the incubator, without stress, for at least 24 hours.

Most people, including me, remove them sooner. I tend to give them 5 or 6 hours to dry off and find their feet.

The brooder should be at 95F for the first week, reducing by 5F per week.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:No, don't mess with the temps. They'll be fine at those temps until you put them in their brooder. It's the brooder, not the incubator temps that should be 95.

6. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:No, don't mess with the temps. They'll be fine at those temps until you put them in their brooder. It's the brooder, not the incubator temps that should be 95.

Katy is right. The incubator remains at incubation temp until they have all hatched, or you stop the hatch.

101F at the top of the eggs is fine for a still air, 99.5F is right for fan assisted.

7. wjallen05

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    Okay thanks so much!

8. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    Quote:95 deg. is perfect then just decrease it by 5 deg. every week.
    don't take the chick out until it fluffs up. like Katy said u don't want to open the bator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by