1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

After three years of talking about it...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mcliff3, Jun 26, 2016.

1. mcliff3

mcliff3 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2009
    Massachusetts
    After tree years of my wife and I talking about getting chickens we finally took the plunge. Spent the last two weekends clearing out the area in yard for coop and building a brooder for them. Picked up the girls yesterday and my wife, son and myself spent the majority of the day just looking at them and talking to them yesterday. Will be great to watch them grow!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Welcome to BYC! Nice batch of babies! Be sure to check out the learning center if you haven't already. You will find everything you need to know on this site, but in case you don't, just ask, there are always experienced chicken people available to offer advice!

3. mcliff3

Jan 4, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Thanks! We have been reading the form on here for quite sometime. Quickly noticed how nice everyone on the site is!

4. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Turtle Rock Poultry Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    Welcome to BYC and chicken math. It sounds like you have prepared well for your babies. Enjoy!
    -Banti

5. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Congratulations @mcliff3 !!! What type of coop are ya'll building? I started studying chickens over eight years ago...still haven't gotten any, but I did get sidelined for a few years. I'm back studying again, though!

Some notes (though you may already have looked at these and have your own ideas)...

Waterer... Whether a pvc pipe or bucket waterer I will be using horizontal pvc nipples. The horizontal ones do not leak as the vertical ones are stated as doing. A closed system is much easier to keep clean than an open/trough type waterer.

Feeder... For a dry feeder the bucket feeder using the 4" pvc street elbows appears to be the best for reducing feed waste caused by the chickens billing and scratching it out onto the ground.

Feed... Look at "fermented feed". Elevates the nutritional value of the feed and is stated as reducing the feed consumption by two-thirds!!! This is naturally more work than feeding dry feed in that you literally have to feed it to the chickens each day rather than filling a feeder and forgetting about it for several days. But, it's not difficult, either!

Security... You can't have too much.

BIG NOTE....

Have fun!!! :)

Ed

1 person likes this.
  6. mcliff3

Jan 4, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Ed

We are going to build an 8'x8' coop with gable roof (human height LOL). We are going to attach an 8'x8' covered run (roof extended and fenced) and then add (L-Shape) another 8'x8' "open" run (fenced and bird netting cover - but no solid roof). We figured this would give the chickens a run they can use rain/shine/snow and one that is good for those nice weather days. We actually got the floor framed today, including linoleum over the decking to make clean-up easier and stop the waste from getting into the wooden floor. Will be putting up walls in the next week or so, then work on roof and run.

Here is the floor we put down today.

[​IMG]

Mike

7. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    mcliff3 what are you using on the floor of the brooder. It looks like pellets was just wondering what kind?

8. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Don't forget a poop board under the roost, saves alot of time cleaning. Read up if you haven't about PDZ and DE too. Enjoy your chicks, don't forget 'chicken math' when building.

9. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Wondering what kind also.....Someone I know uses some kind of pellets, think it's for horse stalls, in her brooder. It 'breaks' down to like saw dust when wet (chicks always spilling water) but dries back up. It's got a fragrance that gave me a head ache.....mcliff3 does yours have a fragrance to it?

10. Pendragonz

Pendragonz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2015
    NWA
    [​IMG] Enjoy your chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by