1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

After upping protein on Blue Orps Pics comparison

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BamaChicken, Jul 18, 2008.

1. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Here is a pic of Charlie and Bonnie last week this same time at 5 weeks old. They are on 18% protein feed. Seem a little slow feathering in but they are large chicks. I started cooking eggs for them in the morning and now they don't want to talk without the eggs. so Here is last week and then a pic of today at 6 weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Charlie may be making the most progess. He is much bigger than Bonnie

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Nice improvement, Julie! I often give mine chopped hardboiled eggs when they are little. They love it!

3. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Thanks for sharing. I'm going to go feed egg to my runt. She's active, but too scrawny. Someone asked about feeding oil to fatten a broiler. I was wondering if oil would work on my runt. How carefully do you have to introduce new, rich foods so they don't get sick?

4. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    I have been just frying two eggs in butter every morning for these two and then chopping them up. They haven't had any problems. I do two eggs cause I have a silkie chick and another splash Orp in their with them.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Nice improvement...I have had acouple slow feather growers that I have hatched out this year and all have caught up to the rest in the growing out pens...

6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Wow! That's a nice difference! I'll be cooking some eggs for my babies now. [​IMG]

7. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

That is a huge difference for 1 week! They look great!

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    They really look good with the feathering coming in. I love the names,too. I look forward to seeing them as they grow out.

9. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Filling out nicely! I can't wait to try my own Blue Orps someday [​IMG]

10. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I give my youngsters a wild quail block to pick at as well as their feed; maybe that explains the big black monster! I think it is 32-34% protein.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by