After using weed killer how many days until it safe to let chickens out of chicken run ?

aurimilky

Songster
6 Years
Aug 17, 2016
My family has used weed killer on all of the weeds around my family farm. Right now my chickens are locked in their chicken run.

After using weed killer how many days until it safe to let them out of the chicken run ?

Weed killer was used nettles, dock leaves and ragworth.

Also what can I use to kill the weeds inside the chicken run that is not weed killer and it wont harm the chickens ?

I quit using any weed killer on half of my property that my chicken can or will access for 5 years now. I also stop my mosquito control service since even though they said it’s safe for pets, I want to be on cautious side. Weed control chems are known to affect the quality of eggs and the hardness of shells. I think there were some studies done about them years ago regarding the eagles and rare wild birds having problem with pesticides.

Basing on that, I just want to be careful, reason I keep chickens since I’m tired of chem/meds laden eggs and meat in the first place. But don’t get me wrong on round up and other chems, I use them just sparingly and cautiously on other parts of my lawn and garden that are not consumable.

I quit using any weed killer on half of my property that my chicken can or will access for 5 years now. I also stop my mosquito control service since even though they said it’s safe for pets, I want to be on cautious side. Weed control chems are known to affect the quality of eggs and the hardness of shells. I think there were some studies done about them years ago regarding the eagles and rare wild birds having problem with pesticides.

Basing on that, I just want to be careful, reason I keep chickens since I’m tired of chem/meds laden eggs and meat in the first place. But don’t get me wrong on round up and other chems, I use them just sparingly and cautiously on other parts of my lawn and garden that are not consumable.
I agree about trying to be as chemical free as possible...same reason we are raising chickens. In our case, I had to weigh the cons of chemicals against the danger of poison ivy to my family (DH is highly allegic) and the possible impact of the poison ivy residue showing up in the eggs.

Last edited:
Chickens usually kill weeds in the run, turning it into a desert. If your run is big enough, and weeds survive, they can add interest and even shade. I prefer this to a desert...
a plants.jpg

I had a discussion on this yesterday, because I have poison ivy coming up all over the yard. I got some good advice.
www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chickens-and-poison-ivy.1247242/page-2#post-20009926

We are using Round Up, and keeping the chickens off the sprayed area for at least a week.

Okay I have a look at your topic. thanks

Chickens usually kill weeds in the run, turning it into a desert. If your run is big enough, and weeds survive, they can add interest and even shade. I prefer this to a desert...
View attachment 1402807

I have nettles growing in my chicken run and my chickens don't seem to like to eat nettles, dock leaves and dandelion.

We have nettles growing near the coop and our chickens don't touch them either. Mine go crazy over dandelion, though.
Just my opinion, from the research I have done, I wouldn't spray in the run, unless you plan on putting them somewhere else for a week or so. I know nettles are a pain, but could you pull them out by the roots, or use a vinegar/water solution just in the run? I would want to get rid of the nettles, too.

Three of the four of us in my family are allergic to poison oak, which grows rampant here. I still would not use roundup, as I am not clear in its impact on pollinating bees, which I believe are in swift decline. Our mountain community has an ongoing discussion on this topic. It seems round up will indeed degrade with time, but I still don’t use it. Another way to get rid of weeds in a large area is to rent some goats. Seriously!

My family has used weed killer on all of the weeds around my family farm. Right now my chickens are locked in their chicken run.

After using weed killer how many days until it safe to let them out of the chicken run ?

Weed killer was used nettles, dock leaves and ragworth.

Also what can I use to kill the weeds inside the chicken run that is not weed killer and it wont harm the chickens ?
There are no weeds at all in my main run or attached exercise yard. Both have been bare since the first birds were turned into them. My secondary run, currently occupied by 5 young Orpingtons, is rapidly losing all vegetation, as well. Chickens are better than goats at clearing vegetation, & a lot cheaper in the bargain.

Back
Top Bottom