1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Aftercare of vaccinated chicks? Extra vaccine disposal?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blefky, Jan 23, 2011.

1. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    Just vaccinated my chicks for Marek's - totally 50-50 as to who suffered more through the process, me or them (and I used to be a nurse [​IMG]). Someone posted that, after vaccinating, the chicks appear ill for a bit. How long does that generally last? Is there anything on our part to do to help them through? Also, the disposal instructions for left over vaccine say to burn the vaccine and containers. What do you all do with yours? I mean, I guess I can put it in the garage and burn after the spring thaw - no way I can dig down to the fire pit out back right now! I can't imagine any place saying yes to a request to incinerate my bio-hazard "stuff". [​IMG]

2. aceoftrumps

aceoftrumps Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    South Central Louisiana
    I totally sympathize with you...never vaccinated anything before.....vaccubated two bathes and didn't like it one bit. Instructions say to isolate them for 10 days. Mine never showed signs of anything.

As for disposal.....I know the landfill where my garbage gets dumped...away from population and the workers just dump it...no exposure. Then it is covered that day with dirt. Sooooo...just trashed them and hoped for the best. As for burning it.....it's in glass containers and the last time I checked, glass is not flammable!!! Otherwise, I would have burned them.

Just my $.02

Kurt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by