Afternoon layers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HowlinWolfVexx, Nov 14, 2009.

1. HowlinWolfVexx

HowlinWolfVexx New Egg

Nov 14, 2009
    My chickens will lay as late at 4:00pm, and rarely before noon in the last few weeks. Anyone else have this happen? My hubby was supposed to put a timed light in the coop but has procrastinated... would that help? I would like to be able to have eggs for breakfast instead of late lunch! [​IMG]

2. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    I got them from 8:30 am, to 6:15pm here, well after dark. Their lights go out at 9pm, but still they tend to settle in after the sun goes down.

Mine are just starting to lay, so maybe they haven't gotten their cycle down yet.

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Mine lay @ 4:00 like clockwork never fails, they are afternoon layers.

AL

4. Shannon's Chix

Shannon's Chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida
    Some of mine went through a period where they would lay late like that...eventually it came around back to morning-ish...

Stop eating eggs for a few days and then you'll have some reserves![​IMG]

5. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    Seems like our chickens have a daily schedule, some lay first thing, others late morning and one does it at the last possible moment before sundown. Rarely do they lay outside their alloted time.

A lamp might help though. It would definitely increase production.

6. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    Ours lay at all times of the day. I picked up an egg just after it was laid at about 4:30 today. Some mornings there are no eggs laid by 10am when we let them out for the day.

7. ilovesilkies

ilovesilkies Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2009
    Claremore, Oklahoma
    Hello I have a few late layers too. But i have found that putting a light in there will help also i think it has something to do with the weather, we have had spring to fall , and fall to spring it cant make up its mind here in oklahoma LOL!! so I have noticed when we have warmer weather they lay more. We keep a heat lamp in their house in the winter and they layed good all winter. Also if your hens are older they will change there habit and the stop laying for awhile and then pick up again. I think the ones that lay late are a bit lazy.Not all my hens are laying right now and they are the same age. So like people they are differnt. hope this helps..and Good luck!

8. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Had my young lady lay after I put them to bed for the night, but before I turned out the light earlier this week -- so after 6:00 but before 7:30. Of course, she's also laid at 8:00 am, 10:00 am, 11:00 am, 1:00 pm and 3:00pm. I think she's trying to find her favorite time.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Since it takes a chicken roughly 26 hours to produce an egg, it would be normal for them to lay an hour or so later each day, until it gets too late in the day and they start all over again the next day, or skip a day and start again early on the third day.
    My chickens had all finished their laying by 1 PM yesterday. Today it was closer to 2. Tomorrow I won't expect eggs before 3 and Monday, not before 4. Come Tuesday morning the girls will all be heading to the nestboxes bright and early.

10. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    We never see an egg before 2pm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by