afternoon layers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by granmahen, Jul 29, 2008.

1. granmahen

granmahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Bakersfield, CA
    Um, I thought hens lay eggs in the morning, but mine are laying in the afternoon. Still can't figure out who's doing the laying. And yes, still on the floor. Urg.

2. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    The first year of my chickens laying life they all laid in the morning, but since they started laying for the second year they all lay in the afternoon - not a one in the morning. The same thing is happening w/ one of my friends as well. Did you put a golf ball or a wooden egg in the nesting box? That's what I do and it always works. Good luck!

3. granmahen

granmahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Bakersfield, CA
    Thanks Heidi, will try it.[​IMG]

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Mine start laying around 10am and go until 4pm or so.

Nobody told them they were supposed to lay in the morning, I guess...

5. chicksgalore

chicksgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    I read somewhere once that a chicken goes through a cycle with their egg laying and will keep getting a little later each day until so many days when their cycle starts over again.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    My hens lay through the day mostly closer toward lunch or late afternoon. Usually no eggs in the morning to be found in my barn. By late day I have plenty of eggs.

It is mostly the perpetuated idea of rising with the break of day, going out to the barn and collecting eggs for the morning breakfast that has fostered the notion in many people that hens lay in the early morning when the rooster crows.

7. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    I have 1 that lays every morning between 9-10am and one that alternates am then pm then am. The others haven't started yet.

8. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    I never know when I am going to get eggs. Some days they are in the AM, sometimes in the afternoon. I check at least three times a day to be sure. Good luck! [​IMG]

9. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    Most of mine lay in the afternoon. Guess they didn't get the memo that all work must be done before lunch!

10. MissChessy

MissChessy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    My hens lay all day from morning until about late 5:00-5:30 in the evenings. I never have eggs around 8:00 in the morning. You can hear them start bagawking about 9 or 9:30 in the morning and it doesn't stop until late evening.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by