Afternoon softies, calcium & campbells

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChicagoDucks, Sep 24, 2012.

1. ChicagoDucks

ChicagoDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Chicago
    My Khaki Campbell, Ringo, just started laying at about 21 weeks of age. We give her and the rest of the flock duck & goose grower (commercial feed) mixed with about 10% cat kibble, free choice oyster shell and they forage in our yard. Ringo sometimes lays an afternoon softshell egg in the yard after she's laid a good-shelled egg in the morning. This has happened about four times in the last two weeks. After laying a softie, she usually takes a day off from laying.

Is this normal when KCs start laying?
    Do I need to add more calcium to their diet? Like layer feed?
    Does this phase pass on its own after a while?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Based on my experience with runners and buffs, you can get soft shelled eggs at first, and I would add more calcium to the diet. With drakes in the flock, this could be tricky, as extra calcium strains the kidneys of non-laying ducks.

The early soft eggs phase passed, but then I started seeing that ducks that had been laying for a year or more started producing more soft shelled eggs and getting run down. In most cases that has resolved itself, with the ducks taking a break from laying for a couple of months, and then starting up again strong.

What concerns me is a duck that keeps laying soft eggs. Low calcium affects every system in a duck's body, including the cardiovascular system. But we have all girls, so I just get calcium into them any way I can, and the duck of most concern is taking neocalglucan (1.5 cc in a tablespoon of crushed green peas).

3. ChicagoDucks

ChicagoDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Chicago
    Amiga, you are a godsend to this forum. Thanks for the reply. I really like the idea of putting a calcium supplement in crushed peas for one duck! I have some liquid calcium supplement that I picked up at the local pet store (it is marketed as a reptile supplement) that I can mix with cruched peas and feed to Ringo seperately. I'll give it a try and see if it helps with the softies.

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. I hope your ducks get to feeling better ChicagoDucks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by