Again another new chicken coop/pen. This makes 3.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PFSfarmer, Feb 21, 2013.

1. PFSfarmer

PFSfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2012
    TEXAS
    My Coop
    Hopefully this will be the last chicken coop/pen addition. Now we have a brooder/hospital/quarantine section, breeding section, and now this new pen which will hold all the birds, mainly the adult birds. Keep in mind thou we do turn them out everyday! Free range pastured eggs are best!

This new section actually comes out to approx. 24′ x 52′ for a total square footage of 1,248 feet. We plan on at most having 125 birds at one time and at least 75 birds. If we have 125 in there that comes out to almost 10 square feet per bird. So there is no reason they shouldn’t be happy if for some strange reason we have to keep them in there for a day or two.

We used treated lumber as in hoping we would not have to replace it for 25+ years. The coop part in the pen has some old freezer panels for the roof and walls that was laying around. A good friend of ours father was working on a job where they gave him a bunch of these freezer panels and he gave us some a long time ago. They came out of a grocery store. Now our chickens will be cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

We also plan on raising rabbits here the coop section of this new pen. We will get twice the function out of this space making it sort of a dual purpose area. So excited. Looking forward to it being finished.

Check our website PhilosophyFarmStyle.com for updates.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  2. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Very nice!! I don't think you ever get finished with the coop and run. There's always something to improve, update or expand.

3. PFSfarmer

Sep 25, 2012
    TEXAS
    My Coop
    Thanx.

You sure enough right. Just remembered we still have to build for the turkeys when we get them in a year or so. Guess I could put them in there with the chickens, but I would like them to have there own thing.

Anyways Thanx for looking.

4. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    Lookin good!

5. PFSfarmer

Sep 25, 2012
    TEXAS
    My Coop

Thanx. We quit worrying bout looks like we did with the first two coops/pens and went for function over looks because the chickens dont care what it looks like or what color it is.

6. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Dang! You have some big construction there.. Love it!!

7. PFSfarmer

Sep 25, 2012
    TEXAS
    My Coop

Thanx.

We are in TEXAS.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by