Again broody after laying 7 eggs..??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Swastik Choudhari, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Swastik Choudhari

Swastik Choudhari Songster

Feb 23, 2018
    I dont know if this is the right forum.

I have a chicken (mix of game bird × i dont know)she successfully brood all the chicks she had...after her chicks got old enough she left them and again started laying. She just layed 7 eggs and again had gone broody. Now its 3rd day she had just left nest for eating and pooping.
    My question is that, is it normal?
    Or is it fake?
    And i want to give her eggs to hatch(her own) so should i?

Attached Files:

2. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Yes, it's possible, but good management would dictate you "force quit" this broody spell to give her body a chance to fully recover from the prior one.

Swastik Choudhari likes this.
  3. Birdinhand

Birdinhand Crowing

May 23, 2016
    a hen who gets triggered into going broody tends to kind of starve herself to stay on the nest and only poop once a day, then once they hatch she sacrifices eating for showing the chicks what to eat. it's an intense process and often results in a relatively run down hen. if you are pretty sure she is still well nourished (check the breast bone, overall weight, is she skin and bones or relatively hefty?) then perhaps it's OK to go a second round, there are a lot of if's. more likely she needs a break to recover and eat and exercise normally and build up her strength before having more chicks.

Swastik Choudhari and azygous like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: