again, don't think im dumb!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cms1113, Feb 23, 2009.

1. cms1113

cms1113 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    DE
    I've heard over and over again that putting a light in the coop may get hens to start laying. BUT our coop doesn't have electricity in it. Would it be completely nuts and pointless to stick a flashlight in there? Would it have the same effect or not really?

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    A flashlight would totally work, until they knocked it down. You only need as much light as a candle (obviously don't want a burning candle in your coop!). You could get one of those tap lights that can be mounted to the wall, that would work really well.

3. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

what they dont say when they have the lights on is,,, it wears ya hens out faster, instead of 3 great years of laying, you get 1 great, 1 good, 1 not so good.
    their body's are MADE to stop laying in the winter, when you mess with that, you mess with the bird, physically".

4. cms1113

Feb 2, 2009
    DE
    Quote:I've heard some people say that it didn't work for them, so i figured i could try it for a while and if they still didn't lay, then i'd just wait it out. The guy i got them from said they were actively laying, i don't know how true this is since they haven't layed anything for me yet.

5. wvsheila

wvsheila Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2009
    I also heard that a light brings in mosquitos and insects which carry fowl diseases, so if you do use lights use a type that is not as likely to bring in bugs

6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

Quote:I've heard some people say that it didn't work for them, so i figured i could try it for a while and if they still didn't lay, then i'd just wait it out. The guy i got them from said they were actively laying, i don't know how true this is since they haven't layed anything for me yet.

its cold there too,, that makes a big difference too. weather, light, diet,coop and run room, how many, and "external" things like alot of noise, barking dogs,,,, all have an influence on hens laying.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY

its cold there too,, that makes a big difference too. weather, light, diet,coop and run room, how many, and "external" things like alot of noise, barking dogs,,,, all have an influence on hens laying.

Or the occassional 4 y/o kid that physically removes the hens from the nest to get the other eggs she has tucked under her [​IMG]

Ours haven't had light, and they almost completely stopped laying. From 30+ hens we were getting 4-6 eggs a day. Yesterday we had a 32 egg day [​IMG]

How long have you had them? They usually will stop laying for a few weeks after being moved to a new location, even if it is within your own yard.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  8. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Quote:its cold there too,, that makes a big difference too. weather, light, diet,coop and run room, how many, and "external" things like alot of noise, barking dogs,,,, all have an influence on hens laying.

Or the occassional 4 y/o kid that physically removes the hens from the nest to get the other eggs she has tucked under her [​IMG]

I have one of those too!![​IMG] And mine is 4 too!![​IMG]
    Ours haven't had light, and they almost completely stopped laying.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Would it be completely nuts and pointless to stick a flashlight in there? Would it have the same effect or not really?

I use a ryobi 18v rechargable flashlight. My duck's pen is covered, so they get a little short changed on the light at night. And it fades out after 3-4 hours, so I don't think I am over stressing my ducks.​

10. cms1113

Feb 2, 2009
    DE
    Quote:its cold there too,, that makes a big difference too. weather, light, diet,coop and run room, how many, and "external" things like alot of noise, barking dogs,,,, all have an influence on hens laying.

Ours haven't had light, and they almost completely stopped laying. From 30+ hens we were getting 4-6 eggs a day. Yesterday we had a 32 egg day [​IMG]

How long have you had them? They usually will stop laying for a few weeks after being moved to a new location, even if it is within your own yard.

Thats good to know!! I've only had them for about 3 weeks now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by