Again - the goofy feed store lady...debeaked chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Southern Gardener, May 19, 2008.

1. Southern Gardener

Southern Gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    I learn something new everytime I'm on this forum.

I bought six chicks from the feed store (the RIR's that were debeaked) Well, I knew I wanted Barred Rocks so I had called her last week to see if she had any BARRED ROCKS - she said she had "Dominickers" on the way from Ideal (they sell both) and they were the same thing - ok, well, that's what I wanted.

Today I was reading a post - someone was asking "Barred Rock or Dominicker?" OH GREAT! - I have "Dominickers" and not Barred Rocks - [​IMG] (I don't really care for the rose comb) So I just called the goofy lady and asked her if she ordered these chicks as BR or Dom's - she said BR - Good, now I have Barred Rocks again.

Then I asked her why she ordered the RIR's debeaked (on another thread) and not the others - she said she usually orders all her chicks debeaked to stop cannibalism except her bantys!? So I said - "so the chicks I have that are not debeaked are bantys?" She said "no - I don't know why they were not debeaked" [​IMG] UGH! Well, thank goodness! Anyway, I couldn't get a straight answer out of her. I guess time will tell what I have...

Me, I'm definitely not familiar with all breeds, but I'm learning...

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Tell her the way to stop cannibalism is not to cram them all together in a too-small space so they feel they want to eat each other. Geez. NO backyard flock birds need to be debeaked, EVER. She needs to be told that. It's just mutilation, plain and simple, IMO.
    And dont get me started on the Barred Rock/ Dom thing. And it's Dominique, not Dominecker. There is no such breed as a DOMINECKER on this planet. ARGH! [​IMG] I had the same discussion with feedstore personnel recently. And I even had to show them in a book they were selling the difference between the two breeds, told them I bred Barred Rocks so I would know and they still didn't believe me.

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Jeesh. I wish these store clerks were more informed on the product they sell. I had a similar "discussion" with a lady Saturday. ( Dominique vs. Domineckers) [​IMG] I just had to walk away. She was so insistant Domineckers were a breed. Oh well...just cant fix stupid!

4. Southern Gardener

Southern Gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    Cynthia,

I know - I totally agree with you. She has no business selling these chicks! I didn't get into it with her - I'm at work... I won't be buying anything from her again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by