Again (URGENT) Assist or wait?

kesrchicky16

Songster
Dec 13, 2016
Hatching ducks
Have one that stopped progressing. I took off the pieces of shell it had loosened itself so I had a window to see through. Saw opaque white membrane stuck to it. I'm guessing shrink wrap so i start progressing with the assist. Then I notice he is still "swallowing" and I broke a not fully dried up vein. The blood stopped but...

I feel damned if I do and damned if I don't. It's covered with a wet cloth back in the incubater still 80% in the egg.

Edit: My plan moving forward. Rewet all visible membrane and cloth every 45 to 60 minutes. Watch for changes in the mouthing actions. Do a full "assist assesment" in about 4 hours.

Edit update: I used a Qtip and "baby bottle" warm water to directly wet the membrane. I was able to fully loosen it from the baby. The blood is fully clotted and there is no sign of further bleeding. It is relaxing out of the opening I had made so I doubt a independent hatch will be possible but it is still yawning and swallowing so I will wait another hour.

Last edited:
3 Hour after initial exam update

It still seems to be swallowing. The blood clot has finally changed from bright red to brown so I'm guessing the vein has finally pulled back. The membrane is still free moving from the baby so I think we are out of shrink wrap danger. I still doubt there will be an independent hatch because of how much the beak, wing, and torso have expanded out of the "shell space".

The 2 earlier hatchlings want out of isolation but I don't want them helping this one.

Also of note ducklings are calmer then chicks. They will walk through the other eggs and not disturb them simply snuggle and sleep. Chicks move everything they look at and bounce around constantly.

Ok so I assess that it was making more effort to get out and not mouthing as much. I helped it out of the shell slowly. There was quite a bit of blood buy no signs of yolk.

After applying pressure to stop the bleeding this is what the "umbilical" area looks like. Is it a hernia? Can I do anything for this baby? I'm lost now.
20180614_150909.jpg

This is the inside of the egg.
20180614_150919.jpg

Did it make it.. looks okay to me but I’m new to hatching duck eggs ... I’m in the same predicament now I’ve got 6 that hatched fine and one that I’m trying to assist now I’ve been going so slow but it’s partially out of the shell but you can tell it’s pretty weak .. I’m waiting to see if it can make its way out.. but may have to help more I’m trying not to rush as to give it time to fully absorb the blood and yolk but I’m starting to get a little worried .. it’s day 32 for this little guy I have

I just assisted a baby chick a few hours ago that had its head shrink wrapped and couldn’t even push out of the shell until that was cleared up. The umbilical cord area on your duckling looks normal and looks like what it looked like on my chick. I’m not sure if it should be different from a chicks but I think it’s fine. Once the duckling is fluffy it will be covered over. The swelling (if there is any, I can’t see it too well) I believe is normal and is the large absorbed yolk in the duckling that will provide nutrients for 24 hours.

@WVduckchick I've seen you post alot helping people out, so was wondering if you had feedback?

Yea spots like that are common and usually do clear up within a few hours and are normally not even visible after a day or so. The caution is to keep it clean and on something soft so as not to irritate it or let any infection in. Watch for discoloration around the spot which could be infection. My guess would be the OPs turned out just fine.

Yea spots like that are common and usually do clear up within a few hours and are normally not even visible after a day or so. The caution is to keep it clean and on something soft so as not to irritate it or let any infection in. Watch for discoloration around the spot which could be infection. My guess would be the OPs turned out just fine.
Thank you! And yea I figured since there was no update :D

Back
Top Bottom