Against the odds. NO STINKERS YET!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TheDuckCrew, Apr 19, 2009.

1. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    [​IMG] i had a bad temperature spike this morning. the bator got to almost 110* and i'm only on day 9 now. ugh, i'm so upset. i checked the bator at 1 last night before i went to bed the the temp was a little low, but i had opened it, so it was just stablizing again. but then as i'm going down this morning, i had a horrible feeling that the temp was high. it was a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach. i go and check, and its almost at 110!!! i ripped the top off so fast and let the temperature fall again. i'm hoping it didn't kill them all, i have no idea how long it was that high. the eggs didn't feel too horribly hot, but they were hot. i'm so upset. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  2. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Hang in there and don't give up too quickly. I haven't had this happen personally but others on here have. I read something like this just recently. You might do a search to find the different threads related to your problem. I would just lower the temp to where it should be and candle them after another day and see what you have going on.
    Good luck!

3. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    i'm not giving up on them until i'm 110% sure they are gone. i'm just worried and hoping and praying that they survive.

4. chicklady63

Feb 10, 2009
    I don't blame you and I would be concerned too. I think you may just get lucky though, so give it a day or so and candle. Hope you see lots of active little chicks-to-be!

5. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Its quite possible that the eggs internal temps never got close to the 110 degree mark, so that's encouraging. Hopefully they will be alright and you'll have your new chicks pipping their way out in a short time. [​IMG][​IMG]

7. chicklady63

Feb 10, 2009
    Have you candled yet? Hope everything looks okay...Let us know if you will.

8. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    i'm horrible at candling, but...here comes some good news...NO STINKERS YET!!!! even with holding them right up to my nose, they still smell like duck!!!!!!! i'm soooo happy. even if i lost a couple, that would be okay. i filled the bator to make sure a couple hatched (14 eggs was all that fit) and so far they are all growing! my parents are freaking out because they thought we'd get 7 maybe at the most! i never thought they would all grow from the beginning. they were old (some over 14 days old) and were never turned during the days they were held before they went in the bator. i hope they all keep up and i have no stinkers anytime soon!

9. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    If it wasn't too high, early temp spikes will just accelerate growth (high risk of deformity). So hang in there, they might make it!

10. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:i hope they do! we are now are day 11 and the temps have been great since. the eggs aren't hot or cold. its holding great. can i fast forward 17 days please??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by