Agastache rupestris or licorice mint hyssop safe for chickens who are free ranging in a backyard?

I don't know that specific plant, but you could look up whether it's edible for people (would probably be safe for chickens too) or toxic to other animals (it's common to find lists of plants that are toxic to dogs or horses, and many of the same ones are also bad for chickens.)

Chickens who are free ranging and have a variety of plants available will usually not eat a dangerous amount of anything poisonous. Of course there are exceptions, but MOST of the time they take a few bites, decide whether it tastes bad or makes them feel sick, and then decide whether to eat any more. (Toxic plants often do taste bad.)

Thank you for your response I am having some difficulty finding this particular plant in relation to toxicity. Do you have a website you might suggest?

Thank you for your response I am having some difficulty finding this particular plant in relation to toxicity. Do you have a website you might suggest?
Sorry, I don't have any specific website in mind. I tend to just use google and see what comes up.

I re-read your post. Thanks for the suggestion about human consumption. I found it on a website, indicating it is used for teas and all part of the plant are edible. Here is the link: https://www.oregonlive.com/homesandgardens/2009/09/easycare_agastache_colorful_fr.html
Based on that, I think you do not need to worry about the chickens having access while free ranging :)

Back
Top Bottom