Agave nectar and chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rebacopter32, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Rebacopter32

Rebacopter32 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2013
    I was thinking of making a sugar water solution for some of my weaker chicks. Problem is, I'm out of sugar. I do have agave nectar, though- does anyone know if agave nectar will hurt chicks? It's kind of like honey, but way sweeter. It's natural as far as I can remember. I thought I remembered someone saying giving honey to chicks is risky- can anyone confirm this? I believe I have honey as well. Any good/safe alternatives for sugar?

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I give my newborns yolk water.

3. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Look up info on Molasses in the water I think for the first day. Research that first to get accurate information. Do you have any vitamins for the baby chicks in their water?

4. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I am still sold on my yolk water, yeah!

5. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I am assuming you boil the egg for the yolk.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  6. Rebacopter32

Rebacopter32 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2013
    Yes, they have vitamins in their water. It's actually parakeet liquid vitamins, but I've used it before and it has the same ingredients in it as other supplements. I ended up using honey in their water, they seem to do doing fine. I've never thought about using molasses- I'll have to look it up. I was searching earlier today and apparently there might be an ingredient in honey/molasses that is potentially dangerous to chicks, but I don't know what it is or if it exists. I saw other people giving their chicks honey water, so I did it anyway. I'm too scared to use agave nectar though, I'm not sure what's in it. And I forgot about using yolk! Usually I'll boil an egg and mix the boiled yolk with water. I haven't done that in a while, I guess it slipped my mind. I think I'll do that later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by