Age and breed.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chickenlady29, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Chickenlady29

Chickenlady29 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2014
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]I bought these girls at tractor supply 2 days ago and they were not sure of age or breed. They said all they knew was they were pullets. Any ideas on age or breed?[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    What a nice dog :) Guessing the chicks could be a red/gold sex link, or maybe Buff Orpingtons from the picture (TSC around here usually has a lot of sex links.)

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Agree...they are either RSL's or Buff Orps, and I am leaning to RSL's. You'll know by about 4 weeks...RSL's will feather in with red and white while the BO's will be gold.

Your chicks are about a week old.

Amazing TSC simply doesn't make effort to label their chicks? They come boxed and labeled from the hatcheries. I see more people on here asking about what TSC chicks are. I don't have TSC's in my area, so I find that amazing, and a bit amusing.

Wilco and Coastal always have chicks in carefully marked bins, and help watching over the bins. I've not seen gross errors there (yet). Although most of the feed store help are pretty clueless.

Anyway...totally off the trail...your chicks should be great layers....and you have a wonderful nurse mother. Labs (or Lab mix?) are terrific.
    LofMc

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    There a little young to be certain, but they look like Red Sex Link chicks (pullets). RSLs are egg laying machines, and if that's what they turn out to be, you should get loads of eggs from those girls. :eek:)

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x3

7. Chickenlady29

Chickenlady29 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2014
    Thank you all. That's what I thought they were. That's what I already have and they are great layers. They just had them in a bin with a sign that said pullets but showed different breeds. The worker said they just started using this hatchery and they never informed them of a certain breed. And yes he is a great dog. He loves other animal's. He's a big baby. My daughter's have him spoiled.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by