age and comb development in Silkies

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chicknfun, Apr 10, 2012.

1. chicknfun

chicknfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Bunnell, FL
    Hi All-
    My blue silkie is about 8-9 weeks old, and even after reading the sexing silkies thread, I cannot figure out what gender this thing is.....
    i caught it yesterday and tried to take pic of comb, but my phone camera sucks, and it would not sit still long enough to get good clear pic of comb. However, after feeling it, it is completely flat....the comb that is. Would that maybe indicate that it could be a pullet? I don't know how long it takes for their combs to develop, and I would really like this to be a little girl, but i realize it just may be too early to tell.

2. TheRookie

TheRookie Chillin' With My Peeps

Is yours hatchery stock or breeding stock? If its breeding stock, you probably wont know until its about 4 months old or so. At that point it should either be crowing or laying so then it will be obvious lol. Just be patient, it will be worth it I promise [​IMG]

3. chicknfun

Mar 23, 2012
    Bunnell, FL
    Well, I bought this bird from a little girl at the local farmer's market at about a week old, so probably not from a hatchery, was the only silkie she had.
    I found your reply very interesting, and now I am wondering what would be the difference in their development between hatchery or breeder stock?
    This is my first chicken (of course now I have 22[​IMG]...LOL) i basically don't know stuff that requires experience.....however, I am learning a lot because I have been asking lots of questions and reading tons of material[​IMG].
    So as early as 4 months I could get a confirmation on gender?? That's cool, I guess I can wait another 8 weeks [​IMG]LOLOL
    Well, since we don't know which it is, we rotate between calling it Fred or Fredwina.
    Hard to be patient, but fun having chickens!!!!
    Thank You!!

ETA: After looking at more pics and asking more questions, I have concluded it is a grey, not blue.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    can you post pics?

the better the quality of a silkie the harder it is to determine gender. if its breeder/show quality then you will more than likely have to wait till it crows or lays.

5. chicknfun

Mar 23, 2012
    Bunnell, FL
    ok, thanks! Yeah, trying to get pics of that crazy bird is nearly impossible, as it will not sit still! If I had some mealworms, I could get it to come right to me, but I'm waiting on them now. All the current pics I have of it are blurry and nothing with the comb. I was just over at the coop, and there seems to be a little bump starting where the comb is. Would it be too early at 8-9 weeks to start producing the streamers from the head? I did notice what could be streamers coming in, it just looks like new, darker than the rest of the head, and I didn't see them 2 days ago when trying to get pics.
    They look like black threads coming out all in the grey furriness ......
    Oh, I just need to stop trying to figure it out,........and be patient.........[​IMG]
    Thanks for the help everyone!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by