1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Age? And for fun...gender? PIC Heavy!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jeffross1968, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    I answered an ad a couple weeks ago on CL from a guy who now claims to have "hundreds and hundreds of healthy guaranteed chicks". When I got there, he had quite a few huddled in an old lean to. He claimed at the time they were 12 weeks old. I had a hard time believing that, because they were quite small. Almost every chick had pretty bad feather picking going on near it's tail. My brain screamed at me to get out of there, but my heart wouldn't let me leave without a few. Ended up picking out the 4 you'll see in pictures below. Because of their size, our guess is that either he was lying about the size, or they were malnourished. He also claimed they are all pullets. Who knows. My feelings for their conditions took over and I just grabbed four of them. This was two weeks ago, and they've been in a small coop separated from the rest of my flock except for the last 2 days as they free range together, though...together may be too harsh of a word, LOL. They aren't doing much "together". But that takes time.

Anyway, I'd like to post a few pics and see what age you guys think they are. Also, if you have an opinion on gender, that would be great too!

On the rock is Opal, a Golden Comet

[​IMG]

Opal in the front, Black Betty the Black Sex Link next to her, followed by Big Bertha the Black Jersey Giant, and finally Beatrice, supposedly an RIR...

[​IMG]

Opal (BSL) and (Black Jersey Giant) Black Betty

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Opal (Comet) and Beatrice (RIR) going their separate ways....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    6-7 weeks old [​IMG]

3. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Really? That young? Grr....everyone agree?

4. ruffedgrouse

ruffedgrouse Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Central Pennsylvania
    Quote:My RIR's are 7 weeks old and they look very close in size to yours.

5. Meghalu

Meghalu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    The Okanagan
    They seem a little more feathered out then 6 to 7 to me, especially on the dark ones (but I'm not an expert!). I would guess maybe 9 or 10? If they really are 12, I would agree they are undernourished. Everyone looks pretty hennish to me as well (again, not an expert!).

6. chickenbuttsowhat

chickenbuttsowhat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    i would say about 10 weeks cuz they look just a lil bit bigger then my 7 week old chicks also Opal and Beatrice both look kind of roo ish cuz their combs r a lil bigger and red but could just be me not that great at sexing at that age if i could seen their wings when they was first hatch i could give u a deff answer lol

7. afj6710

afj6710 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    I'm guessing about 8 weeks, just from my short experience with chickens and all that I've seen on here.

That was really sweet of you to "rescue" those babies, though! [​IMG]

8. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Well that would certainly throw my schedule off a little bit, but they are great little birds, so I'm not disappointed. Unless I end up with some roos....

9. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    Mine are fixing to hit 10 weeks old and they are smooth and fully feathered, no fuzz at all! at 8 weeks they only had small fuzz balls at the end of their feathers on their heads. They have fuzz and patchy feathers. They will be great, they just need lots of love! [​IMG]

10. cbrown86

cbrown86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Missouri
    I have a black sex link named Black Betty too! She is the one on the left. She's older now, the pic was about 2 mos ago.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by