Age and gender? (First time silkie owner)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by treetree, Dec 29, 2009.

1. treetree

treetree New Egg

Dec 29, 2009
    Hi, I bought a black silkie about a few months ago and since it is my first time owning a silkie, I just got one. I'm not really sure how old he/she is or what sex but I am thinking it may be a pullet. Also, my birds feathers don't really seem to be very fluffy looking like most non-bearded silkies so is this perhaps an age thing or could there be something wrong? Also her primary feathers look as if she doesn't really preen them, I'm basically just worried if something is wrong with her or if maybe it's because she is still young. Any advice would be very much appreciated!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cristina33

cristina33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    ma
    I vote pullet [​IMG]

3. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    A better pic would be nice. [​IMG] But from what you got I say rooster at around 20 weeks maybe. Just kinda hard to tell how big it is. Hope this helps

4. BBK

BBK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    it has waddles, so, i'm guessing roo. Thought i read somewhere, that you don't see waddles on females.IDK...

Melinda

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Too young to tell.

6. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    I am thinking rooster as well due to wattles, and body shape. But, you may want to give it some more time, those silkies can be tricky. As for age, I'm not sure.
    Good luck,

7. Thortherooster

Thortherooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    CA
    about 3 months old i think, idk about the gender, i did not know one of my roos was a roo until about 5 and a half months, he was a closet boy..lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by