Age and gender?

shicken1icken

In the Brooder
Nov 28, 2016
Southern California
Hi I have a barred rock. I can't tell the age and was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is old enough to determine the gender. Also can anyone tell me if there are other Tendencies male or females show over one or the other.

It's a pullet...possibly 12-16 weeks old? Hard to tell but that's my guess ;)

I'm looking at her feathering, how the bars are mostly black, and the bars don't line up. If it were male, there would be more white, and the stripes would line up. Male would also have some long tail feathers coming in, and a bigger comb and wattles..

Last edited:
Unfortunately based on the photo shown it is to young to tell at this stage. I have Barred Rocks amongst many others. My experience and observations about Barred Rocks is that with a well trained eye you can begin to tell it's sex at around 4- 41/2 months. At 6 months you will know when it starts crowing (no explanation needed on this issue). With this species you will begin to notice a dominance it develops over the other chickens around 4 months of age and tends to want to be the leader in everything, even pecking at the others for no apparent reason, just trying to cause trouble. Females on the other hand at the same 4 month age do no show these tendencies. Observation right now would be the key. good luck.

Back
Top Bottom