Age and gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shicken1icken, Nov 29, 2016.

1. shicken1icken

shicken1icken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2016
    Southern California
    Hi I have a barred rock. I can't tell the age and was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is old enough to determine the gender. Also can anyone tell me if there are other Tendencies male or females show over one or the other. [​IMG]

2. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    It's a pullet...possibly 12-16 weeks old? Hard to tell but that's my guess ;)

I'm looking at her feathering, how the bars are mostly black, and the bars don't line up. If it were male, there would be more white, and the stripes would line up. Male would also have some long tail feathers coming in, and a bigger comb and wattles..

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    About 8 weeks old (still has traces of chick down on the throat), and pullet for sure.

4. ChkenKeeper

ChkenKeeper Just Hatched

Aug 19, 2016
    Tracy, California
    Unfortunately based on the photo shown it is to young to tell at this stage. I have Barred Rocks amongst many others. My experience and observations about Barred Rocks is that with a well trained eye you can begin to tell it's sex at around 4- 41/2 months. At 6 months you will know when it starts crowing (no explanation needed on this issue). With this species you will begin to notice a dominance it develops over the other chickens around 4 months of age and tends to want to be the leader in everything, even pecking at the others for no apparent reason, just trying to cause trouble. Females on the other hand at the same 4 month age do no show these tendencies. Observation right now would be the key. good luck.

5. shicken1icken

shicken1icken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2016
    Southern California
    Thanks so much everyone.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Pullet, around 2 months, give or take.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member