Age and sexes of these 4 Muscovy's lots of pics

mamato3

Songster
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
SWMissouri
I bought 4 Muscovy's June 5 this yr. I thought the guy said they were 8 weeks but im guessing i misunderstood him becouse they were small when i got them. Im thinking they were just hatched or a few weeks old when i got them. Anyway ive been waiting for the drake tail to start showing up as there fully feathered now. There was one that had a bigger butt but know that there all feathered out they all look the same. I asked for mostly girls but he said he was a terrible at sexing them. So what do you think? i will try to get better pics but they hang out ether in the water or in the corner where all the weeds are. Not very tame
14040_0705000941.jpg

Last edited:
he may have been right
some muscovies mature slower than others
for instance, i have two different flocks of muscovies
the second flock looks is 3 months but they look like what the first flock looked at 2 months
it really depends

as for the drake feather
muscovies don't have that
you'll be able to tell which ones are the drakes as their feet/heads will be bigger and they will grow up to be twice the size as females
also, every once in a while the females may give out a loud quack.. usually the louder ones are females

Just by looking at that pic, which isn't really the best. I'd say you have at least 2 drakes and one hen. I can't tell about the one on the far right. But the one in the front and the one in the back, I'd bet they're both males. They're very LARGE. The one on the left hand side is smaller and is probably a hen.

Laurie

So the ducks probably think im crazy now lol. I spent a half an hour circling them to get pics of them. And my crappy cell phone took bad pics like always. Anyway to me they look the same size i cant tell a size differnce. Ive been thinking i got all girls or all boys. I did not now that about them not having the drake feather. Can you tell im a new duck owner lol.

14040_ducks1.jpg

This pic shows our favorite duck the white chested one in the front middle and the one in the back middle with the red chest i always thought was the boy
14040_duck5.jpg

14040_duck4.jpg

The duck in the middle of this pic is the red chested one and i see some big legs on him
14040_ducks3.jpg

Last edited:
Hard to tell by your photos. Try taking photos when they're relaxed, in natural positions, where all 4 are in the same photo. Profile is good, like you've done, and standing is good. You don't have to have a real close shot of the birds, sometimes moving away is better.

The first photo was the best for me, and with that I think all 3 on the right are males, due to the size of the tail. Drakes have longer tails, ducks usually have shorter tails. I wouldn't wager money on it, though.

So will they start fighting if i got mostly boys? I had planed on keeping a pair and the white chest was going to stay then we would pick the other one out after we determined sex of everyone. I laugh at them because there tails are so big lol.

Alright i went and tried one more time lol. I tried to get some far off ones but my chicks kept getting in the way.
14040_ducks5.jpg

Here are the 2 i want to keep i was hoping for a pair.
14040_0718001133a.jpg

Here are the twins these were the 2 im thinking of selling or trading for some more color
14040_0718001134c.jpg

Here is the best group shot.
If you guys cant decide its fine just wanting to go to a swap soon and trade out 2 for some color ive got all chocolates and wanted something different

Anyone? I thought i got better pics o well i just have to hold onto them tell spring then if there all boys try to sell and trade of the boys for 1 yr old girls so we can get babies. My dd and i cant wait tell spring so we can see all the babies running around

We have Muscovies, and by looking, especially at picture #1, it looks to me like 3 males and a female. Do measure their feet - males should have much larger feet/legs at this point. They will also feel heavier (or weigh heavier if you have access to a scale). My babies look very similar to the way yours do now and they are 8 weeks old. They were hatched towards the end of May. The males are already bigger than their mama! Good luck!

Alright im thinking the only girl is one of the twins the one in the 2nd pic she is behind the other duck. So maybe i should keep that one and the white chested one and trade or sell them and get 1 or 2 more girls.

Back
Top Bottom