1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Age, Breed, Gender please! Pic Heavy!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jeffross1968, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    I've done this once before, but it's been a little bit longer, and I think I have good enough pics this time to hopefully get a consensus. I'd hoped that they would have revealed themselves as crowers or layers by now. Time to get rid of the freeloaders, and get me some egg layers to feed the family! So...hopefully we can get a decent consensus this time around. We have "light" (who I think is showing roo characteristics) and "dark" (who has me baffled). Also, any help with age (we bought them at auction over a month ago) and breed...would be appreciated! I'll start with light first....

LIGHT!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DARK!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    They look maybe 12 weeks, possibly production reds, and they both look like roosters. [​IMG]

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    The first looks like a Red Sex Link hen (the white tails on a red body are the giveaway for that breed), and the second looks suspiciously like a yound RIR rooster. I can see some black feathers coming in on his tail.

Hope that helps! You'll really enjoy the hen, sex-links lay like it's going out of style.

4. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Ack! See, if what you said is right, Pele, it's completely opposite of what we were thinking. My original idea was to hold on to them until they either started crowing, or laying. But then I read that non-alpha roosters sometimes don't crow, and also, these two are kind of bullied by our #1 rooster, and makes me wonder if they'll lay stressed out if they are hens. So, I'm in a position of not really knowing what to do, but having 7 birds and getting, if I'm lucky, averaging 2.5 eggs a day (either 2 or 3, LOL...no half eggs). With a family of 5, I really need to be working on a set up of 6 or 7 layers, and it isn't working out that way!!!

[​IMG]

5. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    100% 2 roos sorry they both have sadle feathers coming in so sorry but they are 100% roos

6. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:Ugh...like a punch to the gut [​IMG]

7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Im sorry to hear that you can't keep a roo, I'm in the same boat. It's really tempting to assume both are roos because of the combs, but that is unlikely. Gold sex-links, when they are matured, have pretty big combs, but it's their coloration that is the giveaway (roos look completely different).

Here's an example of a mature sex-link hen:

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/1792097_f248.jpg

She looks exactly like your first chicken. The really good news is that sex-links lay like crazy, you'll be getting about an egg a day from her.

8. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:You're right, it does look very much like that picture. Anyone else?

9. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Anyone else with thoughts?

10. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Now that I think about it it does look like a red sexlink hen. [​IMG] I had thought that from the beginning, the comb had just seemed to big at the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by