Age categories for show chickens

5-6 months is just barely old enough to show. Generally, the older your pullets and cockerels are, the better. 8-10 months is much better an age for young birds than is 5-6 months.

Thanks for the information. Shucks! Well, maybe I'll just do it for the expereince. Or maybe mine will be the only one in its class. HaHa.

I've never even thought about showing before, but it sounds like fun.

Oh, another question. Do you need a pedigree on them to show them? Mine are purebreds, and I will raise purebreds once I decide on the breeds I like, but mine are not pedigreed. I got them from Murray McMurray.

No, there is no pedigree or registration system for chickens (other than whatever data individual breeders may keep on their own birds). All that matters is that it meet the breed standard (and hopefully the variety standard as well).

Thanks so much. That is good news for me.
smile.png

Hi! I am a 4-her in NH and I want to show pullets. I got them April 27th and I want to show in July. Do you think that's okay? How young is two young they did not need to get inspected Because they were to young. So I'm not sure about that.

Back
Top Bottom