1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Age categories for show chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mychickenbrood, Apr 22, 2012.

1. mychickenbrood

mychickenbrood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Central Valley CA.
    I'm trying to find out the age catagories of show chickens. Does someone know? I plan to show in September and my various purebreeds of chickens will be about 5-6 months old.

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    5-6 months is just barely old enough to show. Generally, the older your pullets and cockerels are, the better. 8-10 months is much better an age for young birds than is 5-6 months.

3. mychickenbrood

Apr 12, 2012
    Central Valley CA.
    Thanks for the information. Shucks! Well, maybe I'll just do it for the expereince. Or maybe mine will be the only one in its class. HaHa.

I've never even thought about showing before, but it sounds like fun.

Oh, another question. Do you need a pedigree on them to show them? Mine are purebreds, and I will raise purebreds once I decide on the breeds I like, but mine are not pedigreed. I got them from Murray McMurray.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    No, there is no pedigree or registration system for chickens (other than whatever data individual breeders may keep on their own birds). All that matters is that it meet the breed standard (and hopefully the variety standard as well).

5. mychickenbrood

Apr 12, 2012
    Central Valley CA.
    Thanks so much. That is good news for me.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by