1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

age chickens are able to live to

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chick_magnet, Aug 6, 2011.

1. chick_magnet

chick_magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2010
    I currently have a hen that is 6 years old. I was wondering average lifespan of a chicken. I just want to know the age of a chicken BYCer have raised?

2. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    they don't normally get beyong 7 or 8 but some of the longer lived ones can get into thier teens. i'm pretty sure the oldest on record was a oegb X hen who never laid an egg and lived inside most of her life. she lived to be 16 i think.

3. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

My oldest hen is Mercedes....an EE hen who just hit 8 years last month...and is still going strong [​IMG]

4. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:does she still lay? Do older hens lay?

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    A BYCer on here has a 14 year old hen, an 8 yr old and two 4 yr olds. Two of them still lay but not sure what the ages are although I know the 14 yr old does not.
    sharon

6. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

My rooster is 12!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. EggyErin

EggyErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Suches, GA
    I have a 7yr-old bantam and a 6 or 7yr-old Ameraucana, both of which started laying again somewhat regularly after I got them in October. I guess they decided they liked being here! The bantam recently went broody and laid six eggs. By the time I found them I wasn't sure they were still good but I love her little eggs. My Amer tends to lay when the weather's better. I've heard that older hens can still lay now and then but without much rhyme or reason. Maybe mine have done their "now and then" for a while.

8. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

Quote:does she still lay? Do older hens lay?

Mercedes does practically every day.... a large green egg [​IMG] She does take a break every so often tho....not sure why but after a couple of weeks she will suddenly be back to popping out eggs per usual.

I love her...she is my baby [​IMG]

9. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

that's amazing the older hens lay! That is GREAT news! No chickens yet, but they're coming (still building my coop!)... just a turkey hen that is a spoiled pet- so looking forward to eggs! [​IMG] I've been wondering how long they lay. Thanks all!

10. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Is he sweet? I am new to all of this. Does he flog you or has he ever?

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by