Age difference and nesting box use

OliviaDeHav

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 21, 2010
I hope i have this question in the right spot
We have 2 Reds who will be 15 weeks old this week - 3 Buff Orps who will be 12 weeks old. We have the nesting boxes closed off so they'd use the roosting bar for sleep not the nesting boxes - we were going to open them up this week?? is it time? 15 weeks old? But, what about the younger ones? Will they get bad habits? Do we close them off at night? Do we put the fake eggs in now when we open them?
Thanks
smile.png

Good questions - they may still roost in the nests - especially the buffs - but that isn't really a problem - as they get older they won't like the nests nearly as much as the perch - its an instinct thing that needs time to develop.

Go ahead & put in some fake eggs now. Never hurts to let them know what these are for. Despite that young layers sometimes dont use the nest for the first several eggs - the urge to lay kind of sneaks up on them. Again as they age they will seek out the nest so it will be OK.

Don't over think this - chickens have been doing this for thousands of years even if you are kind of new to it. They will eventually get it right!

Quote:
Thanks for such a nice response...
smile.png
Me OVER-think! never!!!!! LOL I OVER-think everything - it is the BANE of my existence
th.gif
I've gotten use to it... my hubby balances me VERY well - thank goodness
smile.png
thanks for the good advice

Back
Top Bottom