Age for slaughtering dual-purpose birds?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by tracylhl, Sep 22, 2011.

1. tracylhl

tracylhl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Myakka City, Florida
    I recently incubated a bunch of eggs - barred rocks, reds, astrolopes, coocoo marans.... mostly mixed breeds. I'm planning to keep the hens and freeze the roos. They are 9 wks old now. I know that "standard" age is 12 wks but I'm wondering if that's for cornish X's or Freedom Rangers or any old chicken? I'm assuming these will grow slower so will I want to wait longer? I have my first batch of Freedom Rangers coming tomorrow and I'm planning 12 wks for those.

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Hi...we process our duels around 16-20 weeks.I like to feed them straight scratch grain for a week prior as well. I know you can process earlier at like 12 weeks but we prefer to wait until at least 16.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    4-6 months is the best time. You do indeed wait longer but they'll taste better. Also, if your birds aren't hatchery based, they may even end up bigger than some of the Cornish X's out there. (in the time one normally butchers a Cornish X, not at the same age)

4. tracylhl

May 20, 2009
    Myakka City, Florida
    Perfect! thank you both! So I'll plan to slaughter them with the Freedom Rangers that are coming tomorrow probably. That will make them 21 wks and another small batch 17 wks. together with our FR's which will be 12 wks. That will keep us from doing 9 at one slaughter and then 6 the next and then the FR's. And the grains are a great idea. I hadn't considered that.

Does anyone have a favorite brand of feed for meat chicks? I'd prefer to go unmedicated and optimally all natural. While I've had chickens for a while now, this is my first venture in raising specifically for meat.

5. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I just use UNmedicated chick feed...if they are going to be used for meat, we mix the 18-20 % with 10 % scratch grains. Then the last week we feed strictly scratch grains. I think Illia is right....it's better to wait for the 16 weeks or a bit more especially for the DP's. I have started a flock of Delawares so we'll see how they do next year :)We are going to use a laying flock to hatch Dellie eggs for meat....

6. cukooformarans

cukooformarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Alabama
  7. cukooformarans

cukooformarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Alabama
  8. mcf3kids

mcf3kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    We are processing some dual purpose Buff Orpingtons this weekend that are 19 1/2 weeks. I'm curious to see what they dress out at. We processed Cornish X at 8 weeks and our largest dressed at just under 7 lbs - mmm, mmmm, good! lol These BO's might be 3 1/2 dressed if we are lucky. Good luck! I have been feeding my BO's chick then grower/finisher and now are on layer. I am keeping some for eggs and some will be for meat depending on how much they dress at.

9. jaketheeggman

jaketheeggman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Green Bay WI
    5 1/2 months

10. tracylhl

May 20, 2009
    Myakka City, Florida
    Great info. thank you all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by