Age Guineas start to lay

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SGM, Aug 20, 2008.

1. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    I acquired 4 guineas a few months ago (2 are hens that we know of) and they were hatched May 1st. So I was curious if they'll lay this year or skip and wait till the spring to start laying. May puts them at about 16 weeks old now.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Mine started laying in December; it was her first egg. They usually lay at 16 weeks or thereabout. They may lay a few then quit till spring. Hard to say.

3. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    Ok thanks. Should I separate the RIRs and Guineas? They've been together for a long time. I had thought about building a separate pen to put the RIRs in or maybe just a coop and letting them free range. The Guineas I'll keep up. The ones we had a couple years ago would be on the roof and the barn roofs squawking up a storm so I'm sure the neighbors hate the guineas. [​IMG]

4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I've heard lots of folks say you shouldn't have the guineas with the chickens. Mine are a few months old now and follow one of my Black Sexies around like they are her chicks.

Yeah, they squawk up a storm!!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I do not have guineas at the moment due to bloodshed in the barnyard-they hated my RIR hens. ONLY my RIR hens.

6. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:[​IMG] Strange.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by