Age Hens start to lay???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jcbydesign, Feb 5, 2011.

1. jcbydesign

jcbydesign Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I have a buff orpington, barred rock and an ee I got from the Urban Farm Store (so obviously from a hatchery) 3rd week in September. I was wondering the approximate age they will begin to lay? Still raining hard here - so want to plan on when I will need nesting box. [​IMG] I plan to build a bump out one since the inside of coop is small. Thanks a bunch.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I got some production reds at that same time and they are absolute full lay.

But.. each breed is very different. You've still some time. I'd not be concerned. Look for squatting and brightening of the combs. Those are indicators that you'll be gathering eggs with 2 to 3 weeks. Just remember, it takes them a couple weeks to get up to speed after their first attempts at little bitty eggs.

3. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    should start laying around 5 or 6 months old. barred rock, and buff orp, not sure about easter eggers. never had them.

4. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    We got our Barred Rocks as 3 day old chicks in July, and they started egg production end of December! Get 4 eggs a day regularly now, also has 2 double yolkers..

5. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 4 EE hens they started to lay.....between 19-23 weeks old........they took longer than my sexlinks

6. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    I have 11 Welsummers...born July 28th One of them started to lay this week....

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

My EEs took around 6 months to lay. My Buff Orps took slightly less- but still around 6 months. I don't have BR.

EEs have a reputation for SOMETIMES taking a while to start laying.

8. akcharlie1960

akcharlie1960 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Mine (see below) started at 24 weeks and have been laying steady thru the winter since.

9. SJchicks

SJchicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2011
    I have those same three breeds (more info and pics on my BYC page). I got them as chicks in early May and the Orpington started laying first, in October, with my EE, or Ameracauna, soon after. (So, that's a little more than 5 months.) My Plymouth Barred Rock just started laying in January. They're a great variety of breeds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by