Age if raising with chicks

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by sonjap, Mar 1, 2015.

1. sonjap

sonjap Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    Parker, CO
    Hi all. I am going to add 2 Royal Palms to my small flock of 7 chickens this year. I already know about blackhead so no discussion needed on that. I've heard it's good to have a couple of chicks with them so they can learn to eat and drink. Since the turkeys will be bigger than the chicks and I'm guessing grow faster, should I get the chicks a few weeks sooner, or is the same age ok?

2. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    From what I have researched,Turkey chicks are very vulnerable of catching disease.So,it's best to keep them away from chickens.Saying,chickens have badder immune systems and catch many more things then Turkey's might

3. ChickenMack

ChickenMack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    I have RP's, one tom and four hens, they are really great birds. Last May is when I acquired them and I put them in the brooder with chicks that I had received a week earlier. I had no problems mixing the poults with the chicks, their size differences never seemed to be an issue. I even added guinea fowl to the brooder mix, again with no issues. I fed them all "Game Bird Starter", your turkeys will do better starting with the high protein and your chicks will benefit as well ( game bird is 22% protein and chick starter is 18%). Today, they are all in the same yard together, I have seramas all the way to the turkeys and I have no issue with the differing sizes and I actually think it is because I raised them all together. Good luck!

4. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    If someone is selling you turkey or game bird starter and the protein is only 22% you are being ripped off. Game bird starter is normally 28% to 30% protein. The chick starter that I buy when I am only feeding chicks is 22% protein. There are companies that are selling chick starter that is as low as 16% protein. Personally I will not buy feed from those companies.

When I raise poults and chicks or keets together I feed all of them turkey/game bird starter that is 28% protein. All the longer my chicks are on the high protein feed it does not hurt them.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  5. sonjap

sonjap Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    Parker, CO
    Thanks for the replies everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by