1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Age limit on buying chicks from feed store?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by btruegs, Feb 14, 2015.

1. btruegs

btruegs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2014
    Spokane WA
    Hello,
    My grandson, (and I) were wondering if you have to be 18 to buy chicks from a farm supply store? Also, I was wondering if you can raise a single silkie hen chick to add to an existing flock?

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    I don't think there is an age limit but the assumption that someone of appropriate age will be caring for the animal. Raising a lone chick is difficult, they are social, flock animals. The lone bird will be less skilled more than likely depressed and unaware of chicken society/rules. Silkies often don't mix well with large fowl. It may help to have two so that they have an alliance going into the flock for their own survival. Since bantams are unsexed, you have as much of a chance of roo as hen. I hope this helps. good luck! [​IMG]

3. CliffB

CliffB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    Georgia DOA requires a drivers license so i know you have to be of age to drive in order to purchase them yourself.

4. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    True, but if you as grandma, take your grandson in to pick out the bird and let him hand over the cash, they would probably suspect that Grandma is the caretaker of the bird.[​IMG]

5. esme13

esme13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2014
    New York
    I'm sure there is an age restriction. However some teens look older and probably will by pass needing to show an ID. Now as for chicks I would recommend buying 3-4. Because they need another chick to bond with other wise you get a non-stop peeping depressed chick. They also learn from each other. With silikies they are unsexed due to their size. I do recommend getting 4 or more. They can be very hard to sex even as they get older. Some people might be able to help sex at 6 months on here with photos and then you could rehome the extras.

6. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    In the UK I worked in a pet shop. We were not allowed to see any animals to anyone under 18 years old.. unless they had an adult with them. Don't know if its the same in the USA.

7. btruegs

May 1, 2014
    Spokane WA
    Haha ok thanks [​IMG]

8. btruegs

May 1, 2014
    Spokane WA
    Thanks for all the information everybody

9. iawoodchip

iawoodchip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2014
    Cedar Rapids, Ia. area
    This is off topic, but somewhat related. I'm in my 70's now, but as a teen of about 12 or 13, I was privileged to buy my first 410 shotgun by myself, and carried it home on the city bus. Of curse it helped that the store was owned by distant family, & my mother had checked in before hand. In today's society we're not so privileged. Have him take an adult along for support.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by