Age, New Food, or very slow molting? (UPDATE with photos on Pg. 2)

mtnhomechick - That's true, it does. But, it's the soft shelled and odd shelled eggs that are the concern, especially since these can be associated with disease. But, since the rest of it doesn't fit the symptoms of the diseases known to cause this problem, that's why I'm stumped.

Kelly - You're lucky to still have enough to give away. I had to buy eggs last week.
barnie.gif

A little update on our mystery problem here. . .

Since I last posted on 8/22, Penny (RIR) has laid 7 more eggs with either soft shells or no shells. Ruthie (RIR) is laying normally, but only 4 eggs per week. Elsie (EE) still hasn't laid, but did lose a LOT of feathers during the last week of August. Clearly, she is in a molt while the others are not.

I went to the feed store yesterday and had a chat with the manager. We discussed all the possible explanations, including the possibility that we had a bad batch of feed. No, it wasn't moldy or anything like that, just "different" than our usual feed. He even opened a bag for me to check before my purchase. What I noted is that the previous feed was lighter in color and the pellets were longer than usual. It also smelled different. His theory is that it's possible that hog feed made it into my bag (they're made in the same machinery) or I suppose it could be that an ingredient was missing from my batch.

I started the new feed this morning, so I'll be curious to see if there are any changes in the coming weeks.

Backyard, I'm very interested to see if you notice a change. I was just looking for some info. on the same type of thing that's been happening with my girls.

I've got 7 in question, all EEs. One stopped laying about 2 weeks ago, and looked sort of depressed. She's still eating and drinking fine. About a week after that, another laid a soft-shelled egg (only the 2nd she's ever laid to my knowledge) right in the run - I actually saw her lay it. She's never laid in the run before. Then, 3 days later, she laid a very, very thin-shelled egg that was almost white. In the run again.

I'm not sure, but I "think" mine may be going through their first moult. I say I'm not sure because I don't see excessive amounts of feathers around, but I do see some thin/bare spots on them that are definitely not roo damage, since I sold my roo a few weeks back. So, my hope is that they are just going through a moult and laying will begin again when they are through. (Mine are 17 months old).

Hi Wynette -

Your girls are exactly the age that you begin to see the first molt. Since I've kept a calendar, I can tell you that all of my girls have generally stopped laying a couple of weeks BEFORE they begin to molt. My one girl who is laying the soft eggs right now has had two previous molts where she laid a couple of soft eggs at the beginning and again at the end of the molt. But, it was only a couple of them, not almost 9 weeks of them.

Not every chicken loses excessive amounts of feathers. Some get bald spots in a few areas and others lose a little bit all over and just look thin and scraggly. But, even then, you'll notice lots of feathers in the coop and run.

Also, I only have the one EE to compare, but she stops laying the longest of my girls through her molts, and also goes through a greater number of them in a year than the other two. I'm not sure whether that's typical of the breed or just typical of my girl. Feel free to post back and share your observations over the next few weeks.

This is comforting to hear - thanks so very much. Do they look sort of "depressed" or out of sorts when they molt, because I SWEAR mine just don't look....themselves.

Yep, mine do that as well. I think they just don't feel quite right. And, they certainly don't want you to be petting them when they're full of pin feathers. Don't worry, in time they'll be back to their old selves! I just give 'em space but keep chatting with them like I normally would.

Well, thanks so very much for your feedback. I was worried about them, and I've currently got a young pullet that I'm nursing to health...too much bad chicken carma or something, it's depressing me! Love my girls! So I guess I have lots of "no egg days" to look forward to. Oh well. I'm just glad it's not another thing to worry about.

I'll be watching this thread to see what changes, if any, you see from the new feed! Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom